The Claims Process For Property Damage By Wildfire Personnel

During a wildfire, the government authorizes wildfire personnel to do certain things on private property to fight the fire and prevent further spread of the fire, including setting up sprinklers, digging trenches, and establishing fire walls. Some of these tactics used to fight fires may cause damage to private property. For example, sprinklers used to protect properties from fire can cause water damage. Fortunately, there is a process accessible to homeowners to receive money from the government to cover the costs of these types of damages.

Under the Wildfire Act, the government is required to compensate the owner and any tenant of a property if the government (or an individual or group acting on behalf of the government) causes damage to the land in carrying out the fire control. If your property has sustained damage from a government actor carrying out fire control, you may submit a claim for compensation to the BC Wildfire Services.

To initiate the claims process, send an email to [email protected], call 778-267-0589, or send correspondence to the following address:

BC Wildfire Service Victoria HQ

2957 Jutland Road


Victoria, B.C. V8W 9C1

If you send your claim by mail, you should write “Attention Claims” on the envelope.

Please note that there may be time limits on when claims can be brought. We recommend seeking legal advice from a lawyer with respect to the time limits that may affect your claims.

Our Wildfire Litigation Team includes lawyers Alison Cathcart, Darcy Whittaker, and Thomas Eaves.  Should you require more information, please call one of our lawyers at 1-250-762-2108 or visit our website at

The content made available on this website has been provided solely for general informational purposes as of the date published and should NOT be treated as or relied upon as legal advice. It is not to be construed as a representation, warranty, or guarantee, and may not be accurate, current, complete, or fit for a particular purpose or circumstance. If you are seeking legal advice, a professional at Pushor Mitchell LLP would be pleased to assist you in resolving your legal concerns in the context of your particular circumstances.

It is prohibited to reproduce, modify, republish, or in any way use content from this website without express written permission from the Chief Operating Officer or the Managing Partner at Pushor Mitchell LLP. Third party content that references this publication is not endorsed by Pushor Mitchell LLP and in no way represents the views of the firm. We do not guarantee the accuracy of, nor accept responsibility for the content of any source that may link, quote, or reference this publication.

Please read and understand our full Website Terms of Use and Disclaimer here.

Legal Alert, Pushor Mitchell’s free monthly e-newsletter